Looking for a fresh fruit pie you can make yourself?
How about this gluten-free, vegetarian Blueberry Pie recipe?
It’s been a hit with my family, and hopefully with yours too!
Can be made a day in advance (the dough, dairy, and blueberry filling) and put in refrigerator to be put all together the next day.
“STRESSED spelled backward is DESSERTS!” Anonymous
Crust Ingredients: (Yields one 9-1/2″ tart)
- 1/2 c. (2 oz.) chopped walnuts, toasted
- 12 T. (6 oz.) butter, slightly softened (more for oiling pan)
- 1/2 c. (2 oz.) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-3/4 c. (7-3/4 oz.) all-purpose gluten-free flour (more for flouring surface)
- In a food processor,grind walnuts to a fine grind
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter & confectioners’ sugar at high speed until light & fluffy.
- Add the egg; mix to combine.
- Lower the speed to slow, then add the flour, mixing until barely combined.
- Add the walnuts & continue mixing (scraping sides of bowl) until dough comes together.
- Divide the dough in 1/2.
- Wrap the 1/2 you’ll be using in plastic and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Wrap the other 1/2 well in plastic, then in foil, and then freeze for future use (I like to put all of this into a ziplocked freezer bag for extra protection while frozen). (Once ready to use, thaw it overnight in refrigerator, or thaw it at room temperature & use once its pliable). Good for two months frozen.
Once Ready to Bake Pie Shell:
- Heat oven to 400F.
- Lightly oil (coconut oil or butter) a 9-1/2″ tart pan/pie plate.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a round shape, about 1/8″ thick.
- Arrange it in your pan/pie plate, trimming it to fit.
- Line the crust w/ foil or kitchen parchment, and weight with beans or pie weights.
- Bake until the edge is light golden brown (about 20 minutes).
- Carefully remove the beans and foil.
- Bake until the bottom is dry to touch and light brown (about another 5 minutes).
- Cool to room temperature.
Blueberry Pie Filling:
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/8 c. coconut sugar
- 1/8 c. crème fraiche
- 1/4 t. vanilla extract
- 4 c. fresh blueberries (washed and dry)
- 3/4 c. blueberry jam/jelly/preserves (w/ some fresh blueberry chunks included)
- With an electric mixer, cream the cream cheese and coconut sugar.
- Then beat in the crème fraiche & vanilla until well blended.
- Spread the mixture in the bottom of your cooked, cooled pie crust. Set aside.
- Place berries in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Place preserves in a sauce pan and heat over medium flame until liquid.
- Cool for about 3-4 minutes.
- Pour preserves over the berries and gently toss to coat.
- With slotted spoon, spread the berries over the cream layer.
- Refrigerate for about 1 hour to set.
- Serve cold or at room temperature. ENJOY!